Friday, March 03, 2006

Buy on News, Sell on Rumor

There are so many trite aphorisms in the investing culture. Since I am so late in life getting to the party, I'm still learning as I go along.

Soaked up some SFCC at $18.28 a few minutes after the open. Too bad I can't make AH and pre-market trades with Etrade. The low overnight was under sixteen. It was a matter of believing that most of the bad news was priced into the stock already. 2006 valuations are out the window, because they have to re-state earnings and are withdrawing guidance. Not pure speculation, but liking an entry point. I should have had a limit order ready for the open because there was a large sale.

Getting an itchy trigger finger.

When my beloved and I moved to our Clairemont chateau, we had to wait two weeks for cable tv and internet. It was a period akin to the Dark Ages, with radio our only real-time infotainment. Time Warner finally dropped off the basic digital package on Tuesday. Since then, I have spent hours playing "Call of Duty - United Offensive." Even though the game is a few years old, I like the multiplayer. There is enough map room for a lone soldier to go behind the lines and cause havoc. There was an eight-on-eight base assault game yesterday, and I kept killing the same player, over and over, all over the place. I was laughing maniacally. Another time, I climbed a hill dividing the lines. After waiting a moment behind a low stone wall, a jeep carrying two enemy approached. I unloaded my M1 garand on the vehicle, getting them to disperse. Then I picked them off one by one.

Time Warner isn't too bad, but they want seven dollars more a month for internet access. And that is only a special offer. Cox was $27.99, and TWC is $34.99. But that goes up ten bucks in a few months. Like I'm really going to pay $45 dollars a month for internet, when my neighbor is letting me have it for free.

The thing that infuriated me was the CATV service. For $52 dollars a month, I just get channels under 100 and the box rental. Cox included everything including Encore for $57 per month. Time Warner has 'tiers' of service. It's anything but freedom of choice or a la carte. Four dollars a month gets me a tier that includes Bloomberg and G4 Tech TV. Then another four bucks a month gets me the tier with Encore. So, its more here for both services. DirectTV offers a single-dish, three-receiver system for $42 per month, with everything but Encore. I'm calling their sales office and playing one against the other. Stealing our money, they should be ashamed.

Anxiously awaiting a new video game, "The Matrix: Path of Neo." I was a bit surprised to pay only $13 for it on eBay, since it is still $49.95 in stores. I played the first Matrix game, but couldn't get past the helicopter and assault team in the airport, very early on. I entered the cheat code and beat the level, but didn't continue playing. And I was a day late getting the game back to Blockbuster. LATE FEE!

Gamespot.com gave 'Path of Neo' only a 6.8, saying it comes up short against the console version. I almost don't care. The first two weeks in this chateau, all I did was watch the Matrix trilogy. I watched the original four more times (once with commentary, once with special-effects side stories, and twice just for fun). Somewhere in there also watched 'Reloaded' and 'Revolutions' twice each. I've become fascinated with the idea of the mind as a construct. I am God's love.

No comments:

TED

 BUNDY WAS PROBABL TRANS NOOBODY TALKS ABOUT THIS...THEY/THEM LEFT DETAILED NOTES ON THERE/THEM OBSESSESH WITH THE VAG