Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The Man From B.R.U.M.M.

Just back from El Centro. Had to replace a cascade module at the Kmart, onsite at six.

A courier arrived shortly after I. He was also from San Diego! I joked that we should have carpooled. He had a celica, and would probably be back home before my job was done.

Next time, I want to call the Kmart NOC option 2 and find out which network device needed service. The poor manager had no idea what was goin on, and went out of her way to help.

And I spend eight hours and a night's lost sleep, doing service that a store employee could do in twenty minutes. I was pretty graceful, alright, considering that I knocked over a bottle of Downey, and had to run around looking for a mop.

I was tired on the drive out, in the darkness. The sled was overheating, so I had to run the heater. The interior was a warm, musty, dark space, and the CO fumes alone were bringing on a welcoming narcotic. The benign vacuum of the desert eve, made way for a wonderful sunrise. The only way I ever achieved a basic level of alertness was by slamming on the brakes and scaring the crap out of myself. Now, I am beyond tired. Every time I go through an all-nighter, I swear that it will be my last. At least I could charge more soon, with my license on the way.

Other than that, what a nice day going back to Syracuse. I think I found a surrogate parent, with the beloved's mom. It just makes so much sense, for both of us. It will help me get over the fact that my beloved, is slightly more important than i....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your writing a lot. Nice clarity of thought.

Very tough those all-nighters. I myself have the occasional all-nighter as a graphic designer in advertising and marketing communications and it sure disturbs my central sleep system for days afterward. Recovery is not easy. And just when I have, guess what? Another all-..... !

Never knocked over a bottle of Downey at a customer's place before, just in the laundry room but that was enough for me. Softened the concrete floor like crazy. It's still sinky in parts.

Must go to the pharmacy now, and get my scripts put in or I'll never make it to sleep on time tonight. On the other hand, those very late nights are great when no one can reach you, and you can get a lot of great work done in total peace and solitude.

But sometimes solitude doesn't leave me with good judgment. Not sure why, but the work I loved and thought was the best thing I'd ever done at 3:16 am, doesn't look as hot when the cold light of morn' dawns....

Could it be my sense of judgment isn't so great at that hour, after 20 hours of straight work?

Nahhhh... t's those infernal incandescent lights throwing everything off. It's a warm light, cool light issue.


(The only problem is why Rembrandt's works always look great in warm AND cool light....)

chillblaine said...

sarah gatemom, leaves no tracks...

why do the tru mystics always play hit and run...

TED

 BUNDY WAS PROBABL TRANS NOOBODY TALKS ABOUT THIS...THEY/THEM LEFT DETAILED NOTES ON THERE/THEM OBSESSESH WITH THE VAG