Saturday, January 31, 2015

Seahawks Vs. Patriots

The Super Bowl is tomorrow, Sunday, the Christian sabbath. Someday, the Super Bowl will be considered a secular American holiday. People will pass each other on the street, and wish them a "Happy Super Bowl." Then, for a few days after the game, people will ask one another, "Did you have a good Super Bowl?"

Like it's Christmas.

Yes, gathering friends and family to stare at a box. It's easy to ratchet up my cynicism this year. I have to work during the game. I will be on the clock, on my feet, schlepping calzones. I should be getting time-and-a-half.

Even if I weren't working, I would find reasons for bitterness. The thing that most sticks in my craw is the behavior of Marshawn Lynch during media week. He faced the media wearing a baseball cap and mirrored sunglasses. Every time a reporter asked him a question, he repeated the same line, "I'm just here so I don't get fined."

To me, it seems like disrespect to the people who buy his jersey, or just admire his style of play. Sit still like a grown-up and answer a few questions, and drop the arrogance.

While his behavior during media circus is understandable, it makes a casual fan like me aware of how packaged and manufactured the whole spectacle is. The Commissioner fielding questions about which franchise is operating the best corporate welfare hostage scheme and will pick up stakes.

The former wide receiver Aaron Hernandez starting his murder trial.

The push for merchandising reigns over all. The major sponsors put their ads on Youtube way ahead of time, to get the conversation started. The fawning sweepstakes for who has the best advertisement seems to display a stunning lack of self-awareness. Advertisements work on carnal impulses like envy, greed and lust, or are weepy and maudlin. Katy Perry's tits are a major proposition bet, an appetizer for the degenerate gambler, her body slung across the proceedings like the slut calendar at some car part wholesaler.

Last year, Fox carried the game, and Obama was interviewed by O'Reilly beforehand. O'Reilly was extremely flatfooted, and Obama won something like 27-14. This year I wouldn't be surprised if the Commander In Chief again finds a way to ingratiate himself into a billion households.

Maybe my employer is doing me a favor. Patriots Over Seahawks 40-13. Tom Brady joins "The Club." The one with Montana and Bradshaw.

Have A Happy Super Bowl!

No comments:

TED

 BUNDY WAS PROBABL TRANS NOOBODY TALKS ABOUT THIS...THEY/THEM LEFT DETAILED NOTES ON THERE/THEM OBSESSESH WITH THE VAG