Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Looking For A Laptop

Until yesterday, I was. On our way home from a fruitless effort at Fry's, the beloved drove us home via Mount Acadia Blvd. I perked up when I saw a neighborhood laptop computer store, and quickly asked her to please drive us into the little strip mall.

The beloved reminded me, as she signaled and made the turn, that one of the best computers she ever got, was from a local reseller. Scant need for courage here, as the first PC that I owned came from Computer 4 Less when it was on University Ave.

I walked out of there twenty minutes later with a used Toshiba Satellite that has everything I need for my independent contracting. It would have been nice to be able to wait until next month, and get a super deal on a new Centrino-based notebook.

I daresay that it is less likely that the next generation of notebooks will have the specific I/O ports I need. There was only one laptop on display at Fry's, that had a native DB-9 serial port. I almost walked out with that one (Generic 1.2 Processor, VIA Chipset) instead of my "new" PIII.

Which cost a fraction of what Fry's wanted. Best Buy didn't have a single laptop with the native serial port. I loved their hot-shot salesman, young ace who tried to bring my attention to a laptop that he termed a "monster," with TV tuner card, and that's where I interrupted him.

Hey, Ace, thanks, but I just need a functioning Windows XP notebook with a serial port, and the 10/100 port. I mainly use it to run Hyperterm and a web browser. For me, it is just another tool in the bag. It happens that this tool is a finely engineered laptop by the company that I consider the benchmark for them.

Laptops and Desktops
3582 Mt Acadia Blvd. Ste A
www.khalids.com

No comments:

TED

 BUNDY WAS PROBABL TRANS NOOBODY TALKS ABOUT THIS...THEY/THEM LEFT DETAILED NOTES ON THERE/THEM OBSESSESH WITH THE VAG