Sunday, November 09, 2014

Comic Book Store

I had a dream about a comic book store last night. I only just realized that this is a recurring dream. Therefore, my subconscious is communicating with me, and I feel tasked with understanding what it is saying.

One of the most satisfying dreams I ever had was about thirty years ago. I was a late-season call-up to the major leagues. I hit a home run in what amounted to a handful of plate appearances. I remember vividly seeing the ball disappear just beyond the fence, and circling the bases. I wouldn't mind having that dream again, every now and then.

About two years ago, I had a dream where I was back in college, and was in a co-ed sleepover. When in my dream I stirred, there were young women sleeping all around me, and the one next to me was mine. I wouldn't mind having that dream again, every now and then.

Last night, I dreamed that I walked into a comic book store, seeking a specific type of comic book. They had only one type on the shelf, a cheesy 'Star Wars' graphic novel. The type of comic book I seek is from the late 1960's and early 1970's. My friend Ed Stover exposed me to these comic books one day when we browsed this book store in Pasadena, which had a huge section of all sorts of comics.

One of my favorites back then was 'Richie Rich,' the story of a super rich kid and his dog, Dollar. They do good deeds. Another one of my favorites was 'Weird War.' A soldier behind enemy lines finds himself facing an army of undead Nazis, for example. I also read every 'Mad' magazine. On one family vacation, I kept myself busy on long car rides, day after day, with a copy of 'Mad,' and a copy of 'Wierd War.' I read them over and over again. I would challenge myself to notice one new thing each time.

Sometimes this dream takes place in Montrose, the town next to my old hometown. I go from store to store, looking for comic books, but the shelves are always empty, or they have roadmaps or atlases or other publications, but never the specific type of comic I am looking for.

Perhaps on my way home from work today, I will divert to Paras newsstand. Or perhaps not. I have followed mindless quests before to the point of madness. But there is a feeling of being impelled to search, to seek, and ultimately, to understand.

2 comments:

chillblaine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wergolden said...

Keep seeking my friend...you are answering many of your questions

TED

 BUNDY WAS PROBABL TRANS NOOBODY TALKS ABOUT THIS...THEY/THEM LEFT DETAILED NOTES ON THERE/THEM OBSESSESH WITH THE VAG