Saturday, May 27, 2006

Dream World

Peter Garrett IS the Law West of The Pecos. Stone, cold lyrics matched to wicked guitar licks. If this song can rock my core network, after twenty years, then I imagine my grandchildren will have plenty of me to make fun of, as I spring out from my walker and do flying air guitar solos.

I always considered this a personal, cautionary song. The message I got after head-tossing for 3:35, was to never let my guard down. When I learned the song is really about aboriginal land rights, I had found that rare musician that I enjoy, who mixes politics with music. It helps that they picked their own battles, like nuclear disarmament. The bright spot about futility, is, at least you tried.

With such deeply layered metaphors, this song can be applied to current, everyday issues. Sort of like the "DaVinci Code," only rational, and without the DaVinci. The ONLY DaVincis that I am interested in, are the original Florentino, who went by the name Leonardo, and the WGN series, 'DaVinci's Inquest'. That show is CSI, Quincy, and Homicide all rolled into a pitch-perfect Vancouver, British Columbia setting.

"The Breakfast Creek Hotel is up for sale
The last square mile of terra firma gavelled in the mail
So farewell to the Norfolk Island pines
No amount of make believe can help this heart of mine

End - your dreamworld is just about to end
Fall - your dreamworld is just about to fall
Your dreamworld will fall

So shut that buckle and turn that key again
Take me to a place they say the dreaming never ends
Open wide drive that mystery road
Walk through eden's garden and then wonder as you go (it goes -ed.)

Sign says honeymoon to rent
Cloudland into dreamland turns
The sun comes up and we all learn
Those wheels must turn"

from Diesel and Dust, CBS Records, 1987

No comments:

TED

 BUNDY WAS PROBABL TRANS NOOBODY TALKS ABOUT THIS...THEY/THEM LEFT DETAILED NOTES ON THERE/THEM OBSESSESH WITH THE VAG